CULTIVATING IMAGINATION AND SPIRIT OF INQUIRY
Greenwood School equates the educational process to the lighting of a fire versus the filling of a pail. We aspire for students to tap into a self-realized drive and love of learning. Students are engaged, creative, and driven from within because:
- Caring and competent teachers know students intimately
- Teachers trust in the students’ abilities to discern truth and to draw their own conclusions, e.g., via the Socratic method
- The curriculum is thematic, integrated, and developmentally appropriate
- Learning is active and experiential
- We offer a renaissance-type curriculum that builds broad competencies, global perspective, and appreciation of cultural diversity
- Academics, the arts, music and movement are blended into everyday lessons
ENDURING LIFE SKILLS
One of Greenwood School’s highest aspirations is to equip students with enduring life skills that withstand the test of time and are common to those who have led a meaningful and fulfilled life. While we can’t predict the future, we need to prepare students to navigate it:
- Healthy in mind, body, and spirit: Examples include mindfulness and meditation, good nutrition, adequate sleep, artistic expression, and time in nature.
- Authentic and passionate: Grounded, self-directed, confident to stand in one’s own shoes, to know thyself, and to engage deeply in life.
- Wise and discerning: Far-seeing and exercising good judgment—especially in the face of peer pressure (an antidote to the current epidemic of anxiety and depression).
- Humble and grateful: Willing to listen and learn; appreciative to all those who’ve helped us get where we are.
- Integrity and Responsibility: Doing the right thing and taking ownership.
- Resilient: To persist in the face of adversity and to have a “no excuses” mentality.
- Imaginative and creative: Thinking about reality and the future in new ways, and understanding how to tap into our individual creative source.
- Good attitude: A half-full outlook; approaches life with zest; empowered by a growth mindset.
LOVE OF NATURE
We believe that eco-literacy and environmental education are essential for a 21st Century education. Through all the grades, and unique to Greenwood, is our Nature and Environmental Studies program (NEST) where the children access nature as an outdoor classroom each week. Our ecology and environmental science curricula allows for real-world experimentation and stewardship practice.
Relationships are the cornerstone of Greenwood School. How we relate to one another informs the social and emotional learning not only throughout the grades but also throughout life. By fostering deep connections – to the curriculum, to the students, to the parents - the school is a partner in molding these young students into becoming confident, grounded and resilient adults. The deep sense of community creates a village within the school that exists for support, strength and guidance.